The 10 1/4 inch gauge Hastings Miniature Railway is a short walk from Hastings station and first opened in 1948. It is 600 yards long and has three stations at Marine Parade (opened 1959), East Beach Street Halt and Rock-A-Nore.
The station at Marine Parade had a single platform and run-round loop as well as a ticket office and shop.
East Beach Street Halt was the original terminus before the extension to Marine Parade opened but is not used on a regular basis. It has a passing loop which was re-instated in 2010.
Rock-A-Nore station has a single platform, sheds and turntable. There is also a shed/tunnel and sidings adjacent to Rock-A -Nore where the line passes beneath a building.
Trains were being hauled by No 4 ‘Speedy Fizzle’ a 4+4 DH Bo-Bo built by RVM Engineering between 2009 and 2011 and D801 ‘Vanguard’ a 4+4 DH which previously operated at Knebworth Miniature Railway.
A number of other locomotives were on display outside the sheds at Rock-A-Nore including No 2 ‘Jerry Lee’ a 4+4 DM rebuilt in 2011 (in InterCity livery), No 5 ‘Uncle Jim’, a 4+4 DM built by Jim Hughes in 1968, No 7 ‘Tilby’ an 0-4-0 tram engine built by RVM Engineering in 2013 plus the much-travelled 0-4-0 steam loco ‘Edmund Hannay’.
The Hastings Miniature Railway also operates a 7 1/4 inch gauge line at Alexandra Park in Hastings, plus there are also two cliff railways at Hastings, so well worth a visit. Report by Jonathan James.